One of the keys to having a successful, productive Interview is preparation. It is vital in turning a one-sided interview into an opportunity for you to show what you could be capable of.
How you answer questions, when you arrive, knowledge and research about the Company and a good understanding of the role and key requirements is essential but some people forget to say how their ability, experience and achievements meet the role requirements.
The following Checklist is a Guide to help you think of ways to differentiate yourself, show your fit with the Role, Company, Culture and Ethos and hopefully make you ask more questions to your Head Hunt International Consultant so that all your questions can be pre-resolved leaving the interview itself free of “discovery” and more about your suitability for the role and client.
- You should ask for confirmation including date, time, address, and initial details of the people that you will be meeting.
- An idea of the Interview Format e.g. will it be a 1-2-1, or a Panel Interview.
- Is it formal, informal, Onsite or Offsite?
- Be at least 10-15 minutes early. Always plan travel arrangements a few days in advance and allow plenty of extra time for potential delays – expect them.
- Try a dry-run if the location is local. Alternatively, know the route you will be travelling.
- Take extra copies of your CV. / Resume, Certificates, References etc
- Clients have Websites for a reason - research the Company history, management, press releases, services / products, other roles and background via their Website.
- Write down your Head Hunt International Consultant’s number and the Client’s number in case you have to ask for a delay.
- If anything comes up – call your Head Hunt International Consultant ASAP.
- Take writing materials, a quality pen and TAKE NOTES during the interview.
- Practice key interview questions and answers with another person.
- Dress smart and professionally, give firm handshakes, maintain eye contact, be interested, show enthusiasm.
- Always call the Head Hunt International Consultant after the interview and give full feedback.